Sunday, October 31, 2010

Kindergarten Week 7


Welcome to All Saints Day week.  I wasn't sure how to feel about this week as whole.  We do not, as a family, celebrate Halloween.  It is something that I personally feel strongly about.  We try to keep our focus during this time of year on harvest, fall, and being thankful.  When I saw that our curriculum had this week planned as All Saints Day I was hopeful that this would be a good thing.  I was disappointed.  The book of the week, Pumpkin Moonshine by Tasha Tudor, was about jack o'laterns.  We read the book, followed by a long discussion about why we don't celebrate Halloween, but some other people do.  We then read two of our own books, Let's Shine Jesus' Light on Halloween by Diane Stortz and The Pumpkin Gospel by Mary Simon.  I recommend both of these books if you are in a similar situation to ours. 



I ran into some more difficulty when it came to social studies this week too.  It wanted us to discuss All Saints Day.  My only issue with this is that is a Catholic holiday and we are not Catholic.  I was so unsure what to do I called my wonderful brother-in-law, Uncle Monkey, who is a children's pastor at our church.  We discussed the problem and decided that our best bet was to explain to Glory that some people celebrate Halloween or All Saints Day, but we do not.  We then talked about how some people do things that we just don't do in our family, but it's ok God loves everyone.  I explained that we get to dress up and go to Kids Fest and church instead of celebrating Halloween.  



For our science this week we dissected a pumpkin and made pumpkin seeds.  Bee loved seeing the inside and helping scoop out the seeds.  She used some very good descriptive words to describe what she was feeling.  Then she helped me rinse the seeds and sample the finished product.  She decided she loves baked pumpkin seeds.




I must say Bee is so excited to be going to Kids Fest at church this evening.  She is going to be Little Red Riding Hood and she is so excited.  She hopes she is the only one, because it would not be good if there was another one.  I told her it wasn't likely, but that if it happened it wasn't the end of the world. 
 photo 33764858-61fa-41e3-92e1-e8d0c7e3f9be.jpg

1 comment:

  1. We celebrate both, but my post today is about our All Saints party. Our homeschool group has one every year. Lots of games that relate to saints. If you'd like more info on any of them just email me. I'd be glad to share. I didn't post all the details and rules of every game, but I can send them to you if you'd like to use them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.