Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Count Down to the Move


 photo 2f9ecb5c-2e5c-4768-920e-b659245e96b9.jpg
We have only 30 days left until the move.  I have been purging, sorting, and packing like crazy.  Here's how I'm doing it.


Purging
I used a set of questions to decide what to keep and what to get rid of.
  1. Is it a family heirloom?
  2. Does it do what it's supposed to do or does it need to be fixed?
  3. When did I last use it?
  4. Do I, or the person it belongs to, love it?
  5. Do I have multiples? How many do I really need?
  6. Is there a better way to access this?
Sort
Once I decided what I was going to get rid of, I had to sort it into groups. I separated items into sell, donate, and trash.
  1. Sell
    • Normally selling is a great way to get rid of unwanted stuff and make a little extra cash.  A garage sale or craigslist are good ideas.  We are not allowed to have a garage sale where we live, so it wasn't an option for us.  We did sell a loft bed frame on craigslist, but it was such a pain that I'm more likely to just donate it.
  2. Donate
    • We regularly receive and pass on hand me down clothes and feel very blessed in the process.  It feels like an on going donation process.  We are taking car loads of stuff to the Goodwill.  You can claim donations on your taxes, just make sure to get a receipt.
  3. Trash
    • If Goodwill won't  take it or you wouldn't buy it, throw it away.
Packing
I know it seems backward but I started packing our stuff in storage first. After I purged I was able to condense a lot.  I also came up with a system to mark the storage totes.  I used my label maker to print readable labels and then I put a color coded circle on the tote. The color code tells me, at a glance, how often I need to get into them. 
  • Orange - items I could keep in storage indefinitely.
  • Pink - items I use occasionally, like my sewing and crochet stuff.
  • Green - items I use regularly, like seasonal decorations.
I have also set up a moving station.  It has boxes, packing paper, label maker, tape, and permanent markers.  I basically tried to get everything I might need to pack in one place.  This allows me to easily pack a box when ever I get a chance. I also have space that is empty, and ready to be filled with packed boxes.


I hope you found this helpful.  Until next time,
 photo 33764858-61fa-41e3-92e1-e8d0c7e3f9be.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.